Life - Atom" href="http://www.blogger.com/feeds/6816383455609595527/posts/default" /> A Day in the Life: Satisfy the Hunger

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Satisfy the Hunger

A man approached me the other day or rather the other night. This man came in the church building at the end of Bible study. He said that he didn't want money, just some food. I gave him some food; he then asked for some money. His request now changed and circumstance also. He had obtained a job that would pay him in a week or so, therefore, he needed some money.

I told him, no. I told him that we did not give away money. Also this was a story, among others, that was continually told to me by other nighttime guests. Later, I would find out that this same man came to the church building earlier, at which time he accomplished this same goal.

This man was not discouraged by my response. He then evaluated his request and made a new one. He asked me, "Can you take me to the train station to buy a monthly card?" Again, I answered no.

Now I've been accused at times of being cold hearted, mean, insensitive. To which I reply, "No, I just try to satisfy the hunger not the appetite." Many of us, at a beggar's request, will pull out a dollar or two. Some claim, "Well at least I tried to help somebody!" No! You tried to help yourself. You wanted to make yourself feel better.

Let's be clear. Nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus ever toss coins at beggars. Beggars beg for different reasons. Some have needs, that they know will never be fulfilled by monetary gain; however, they will take whatever they can get. Others have needs; but for various reasons, they have become so disconnected from themselves as well as their circumstance that they are unable to identify the needs.

I believe in helping people find satisfaction for hunger, not for appetite. This takes time, conversation, relationship, committment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the statement hunger not appetite. But I feel that sometimes we can be courteous to anyone , even if the person is a beggar or just a liar. Sometimes we are tired or just ready to get home and our answer to someone can be stern and unfeeling. But what we have at hand is the word "if" for example: We can help you with food tonight. (When the conversation went to money) No, our church do not help with money but "if" you call the 211 help line tomorrow and maybe they can help you. Sometimes just giving a person another resource. Being stern is sometimes the answer but sometimes when you are smiling and talking and moving to the door, people will get the picture. Everybody start moving to the door get in the car and pull off. The longer time you give them for conversation the more time you give them to think of the next lie.

FYI to anyone and everyone don't let person in your car you don't know, promising to buy them something. Because now they are under the assumption you have money which put you into a very dangerous position.