Life - Atom" href="http://www.blogger.com/feeds/6816383455609595527/posts/default" /> A Day in the Life: Offer No Discount

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Offer No Discount

The word ‘discount’ can be a very positive word, when it is used on items considered for purchase. However, it can be a very negative declaration, when it is used as a tool of evaluation and assessment of a person or person’s contribution. I often meditate on this when I read about the boy or little lad, as he is referred to by Andrew in John 6. His contribution of two fishes and five barley loaves was viewed as insignificant, worthless.

In the Old Testament, King Saul also discounted a young David. David, in the midst of an army of frightened soldiers, also carried a small lunch to feed his brothers; however, his contribution was one of courageous willingness. King Saul regarded David’s involvement in the battle as unimportant. “You are just a youth.” These two people, one named and one nameless to the reader both made great contributions while they lived. And though they and their offerings were diminished in value; they offered no discount. They gave what they had, freely and willingly.

It’s sad though that some need to be encouraged, coaxed, compelled to give of themselves. They have discounted themselves, their contributions, and the outcome of any action they might take. The prophet Jeremiah told God, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."

Moses told the Lord, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

Even impulsive Peter told Jesus, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”

We are created in God’s image; yet some see only a flawed mirrored reflection.

“And then he told me, My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness. Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size - abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (Message Bible).

No comments: